My Summer on the Cape

The places I visit, the knowledge I gain, the people I meet, the adventures I experience, the memories I make: it's all here

Saturday, June 5, 2010

New Mode of Transportation!

Even before my car began quitting on me, I had been planning to bike to work whenever the weather permitted. I'll save money on gas, save myself the headache of the heavy traffic that I have been warned about, reduce my carbon footprint, and get in better shape - all by this one simple activity!

Before biking to work the first time, I took an afternoon ride to familiarize myself with the trail. When I reached the intersection at the HQ, I reached for my chapstick in my pocket. It was there, but my phone was not. I thought briefly about whether I would have been as upset if it was the other way around (if my phone was there, but my chapstick was not), and determined that I probably would be as I peddled furiously back, my eyes scanning the ground on the opposite side of the trail.

I was nearly back to my starting point when I saw a young couple on bikes stopped on the side of the trail. The man had a purple phone in his hands and wore a puzzled expression on his face.

"Is that---" I began, screeching to a halt.

"Is this yours?" he asked hopefully, handing the phone over to me. "I was going to try to call your mom or something."

I thanked them profusely, so grateful that they had not decided to simply pocket the phone and continue on their way. They wished me luck, and with a sigh of relief I stowed my phone away in my bag, and patted for my chapstick. It was still with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment