My Summer on the Cape

The places I visit, the knowledge I gain, the people I meet, the adventures I experience, the memories I make: it's all here

Saturday, June 5, 2010

New Opportunity!

By now, I have completed my two weeks of volunteering the Superintendent's office at the Headquarters of the Seashore. My three main assignments are all on-going, however, so I will still be in on Fridays and will put in some time outside of the office as well.

The main project they requested my help on is the planning of an event to be held at the Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis in mid-July. The goal is to promote the Seashore to the people of the Upper Cape, who rarely make it out as far as the beaches of the Outer/Lower Cape. George Price, the park's Superintendent, and Glenn Ritt, a member of the Friends of the Cape Cod National Seashore (hereafter, "The Friends"), both used their contacts to recruit various organizations to join us in presenting the Seashore so as to encourage visitation by Upper Cape residents.

Next Friday I have a tentative meeting set up with Glenn and the marketing representative from the Cape Cod Mall (CCM) to look at the space and begin working out the logistical details of the event. Then I get to take over the management of the organizations, working with them to develop presentations and ensuring that their needs will be met on the day of the event. Those of us involved recognize the challenge of enticing mall shoppers to check out the exhibits we;ll have on display, but I'm looking forward to putting my planning skills to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment